Plants Nouveau is proud to represent Sinclair A. Adam, Jr. famed plants-man and owner of Dunvegan Nursery, in the exclusive introduction of his much awaited, newly selected line of ground covering foam flowers.
Sinclair’s passion for breeding with native plants is known throughout the industry by such innovative introductions as Tiarella ‘Erika Leigh’, ‘Laird of Skye’, ‘Brandywine’ and ‘Oakleaf’. His latest introduction, Phlox paniculata ‘Shortwood’ honors our very own perennial “Doctor Ruth”, Stephanie Cohen and is positioned to be one of the most disease resistant pink summer phlox selections ever introduced.
The five runners which make up The River Series are named for eastern Pennsylvania rivers (the home of Dunvegan nursery), Susquehanna, Delaware, Lehigh, Wissahickon, and Octoraro. Each selection is interesting and different. Susquehanna may well have the showiest foliage in terms of red pigment,
but Delaware has the most prolific bloom.
The River Series was selected from 15,000+ F1 hybrid seedlings that resulted from crossing the very hardy (10+ years in trials at the University of Vermont) Tiarella cordifolia ‘Erika Leigh’ and a super heavy blooming, running unnamed Tirella cordifolia seedling that has proved itself hardy for 8+ years at Dunvegan Nursery. Of the 15,000+ seedlings, 150 were selected for further trials. 20% of those were running forms and the other 80% were clumping forms. Sinclair continues to evaluate the clumping forms and has aspirations of a clumping form series in the near future.
Tiarella cordifolia ‘Delaware’
Tiarella cordifolia ‘Lehigh
’Tiarella cordifolia ‘Octoraro’
Tiarella cordifolia ‘Susquehanna’
Tiarella cordifolia ‘Wissahickon’
Tiarella cordifolia ‘Stephanie Cohen’ – part of the Diva-rella Series – New for 2011
Established 1989, is owned and operated by Sinclair and Kirsten Adam. Sinclair has 30 years experience in horticulture, and herbaceous plants, and has taught at The University of Vermont, Brandywine Conservancy, The Brandywine Valley Association, Longwood Gardens, The Barnes Foundation, and Temple University. He has presented a number of topics in horticulture at ASHS, IPPS, PPA, The New England Greenhouse Conference, US National Arboretum, and other venues, and he holds Degrees in Plant Science from U. of Wyoming, & U. of Vermont. Kirsten has 20 years of experience in horticulture, a BA in Art History from U. of VT, and a reputation for her skillful and efficient propagation techniques, and resulting crop quality.